Our Designated Safeguarding Leaders are:
Mrs Sonia Clews (Headteacher)
Mrs Ruth Nelmes (Inclusion Leader and SENCO)
Ms Paula Irwin ( Family Support Worker)
Mrs Liz Crofts (Acting Deputy Head)
St Luke’s CE Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all of its pupils. School staff, governors and volunteers are expected to demonstrate this commitment in all elements of their work. At St Luke’s CE Primary School we achieve this through:
- Establishing and maintaining an environment where children feel secure and are encouraged to talk and are listened to.
- Ensuring that staff are able to identify welfare concerns and take appropriate action to address their concerns.
- Ensuring children know that there are adults in the school whom they can approach if they are worried through promoting protective behaviours.
- Including opportunities in our PHSE curriculum (Jigsaw) for children to develop the skills they need to recognise and stay safe from abuse.
- Enabling a range of visitors (NSPCC, local policing team, e-safety advisors, life education bus etc) into school to provide workshops, lessons and assemblies to promote how children can keep themselves safe.
- Recognising that each pupil’s welfare is of paramount importance and that some children may be especially vulnerable to abuse e.g. those with special educational needs, those living in adverse circumstances e.g. those who witness violence.
- Working in partnership with Northamptonshire County Council and Northamptonshire Police to identify and provide appropriate support to pupils who have experienced domestic abuse in their household; nationally this scheme is called Operation Encompass. In order to achieve this, Northamptonshire County Council will share police information with the Designated Safeguarding Lead(s) of all domestic incidents where one of our pupils has been affected. On receipt of any information, the Designated Safeguarding Lead will decide on the appropriate support the child requires, this could be silent or overt. For more information click here:
Rigorous internal systems are in place to ensure safeguarding is at a high level. Staff, volunteers and parents should also be aware that anyone can make a referral to the Multi-agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) at any time. Further information and contact details can be found on the Northamptonshire Safeguarding Children Board (NSCB) website
Designated safeguarding leads at St Luke’s CE Primary School are:
Sonia Clews (Headteacher), Ruth Nelmes ( Assistant Headteacher), Liz Crofts (Deputy Headteacher) and Paula Irwin (Family Support Worker).
Safeguarding Governor: Andrew Holt
St Luke's visitor information leaflet (one given in the school office)
Young People's NSCB ia a statutory board which has been set up as part of the Every Child Matters government reforms. NSCB ensures that all organisations that work with children work together to keep children and young people safe from harm. NSCB undertakes this role through providing training, the development of policies and procedures and awareness raising.
Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP) provides lots of useful information to help keep your child safe online, about spotting the signs and dealing with exploitation. There are different areas of the website for parents and for children.